Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Guest Faye M. Tollison

Today, my guest is Faye Tollison, author of To Tell the Truth, which I reviewed here. I originally met Faye through either the Sisters in Crime group or the SC Writers Workshop group, so we have a personal relationship. We have even done one event together since she published her book. I recently caught up with Faye to ask her a few questions. So without further ado, here is what she had to say. And I would like to thank Faye for taking the time to answer my questions and for being a guest on my blog.


FT: Thank you for having me, Elysabeth.

EE: Faye, tell us a little bit about yourself. Your likes, dislikes, what you like to do for fun (basically anything you would like readers to know about you)

FT: I love movies. I find a good movie very relaxing. And I love to read. Of course, it has to be a good mystery or suspense. But writing is my passion. LOL, the thing I hate the most is going to the dentist. I do it, but I really have to make myself.



EE: How long have you been writing? When did you first know or think you wanted to be a writer and possibly make a career out of writing? What kinds of things do you generally write? What have you read that has inspired the way you write (in other words, which writers have inspired your writing style or the genre you write in)?

FT: I've been writing since I was a teenager, but I didn't get serious about it until my kids were about grown. Then I got serious enough to join a writer's critique group, the South Carolina Writer's Workshop. I worked hard at developing my writing skills. I'm not sure just when I started my first book, but then I put it away and didn't do anything else with it until I had to quit work. A friend of mine brought it to my attention that it was a good time to get serious about my book and finish it. So I did and published it. I've read mysteries every since I can remember. I've always loved them. I think Agatha Christie had a great influence on my interest in the mystery genre, but M.C. Beaton made me realize how important a good character is to a book. She is the writer I admire the most.

EE: How long have you been a member of Sisters in Crime? As a member of Sisters in Crime, what do you feel the benefits have been over the years?

FT: Gosh, I can't remember exactly what year it was I joined Sisters In Crime, but it's been several years. This group has been great for my writing because of the types of speakers they have. The speakers are always informative, and I come away from the meetings with information I wouldn't have gotten on my own. Plus just being around other writers is inspirational. You learn so much from fellow writers and get such great inspiration from them. S.C. has so many good writers, and I feel privileged to be a part of them.

EE: What kinds of things have you been doing to promote your books and trying to gain visibility?

FT: Well, of course, I did a book signing with Fiction Addiction, which was really great. They do a press release for you. Also, I was a guest speaker at the St. James Place Book Club. I have appeared on Your Carolina with Jack Roper and Kimberly Clark. Also, I have created a page for my book on Facebook and have done a lot of promoting through Facebook and through Twitter. I try to stay at it constantly. I also mention my book at every opportunity when out in public. I do my best to help push other writers books on Facebook and Twitter. They will reciprocate and have so that is a good method of promotion. I have given out free books to some people as a promotion tool as well as my business card and bookmarks. Everything like this helps. And I'm constantly on the lookout for opportunities to push my book.

EE: If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live and why?

FT: There is no place like home, Elysabeth. If I could, though, I would love to have a mountain home. I love the mountain and would love to live there.

EE: Thanks again, Faye for your time and gracing us with your wonderful insight.

FT: Thank you for having me, Elysabeth. I appreciate the opportunity to be a guest on your blog. I am working hard on my second book, The Bible Murders, so check out my page on Facebook, and join the adventure of John and Anna in this murder mystery. It's the second in my detective series. Also, visit my website.

Faye also has several blogs she keeps up with as well as posting monthly on the Writers on the Move blog.


Author's Bio: Faye Tollison has loved mysteries for as long as she can remember. After 27 years in the medical field, she decided to devote herself to writing her own mystery.

She has written several articles on writing, which were published in The Quill and a short story published in Catfish Stew, an anthology by the South Carolina Writer’s Workshop of which she has been a longstanding member. As a member in her local chapter of the SCWW, she wrote a number of critiques, and they were published in the chapter’s newsletter, Printed Matters.

Faye resides with her three cats in upstate South Carolina and is presently writing her second mystery novel.

Stay tuned next week for a special announcement leading up to a 50-day giveaway celebrating my half century. See you all in the postings - E :)

2 comments:

Faye Tollison said...

Thanks, Elysabeth, for having me today. You've done a good job on this website. I feel privileged to be here today with you and your followers.

Faye M. Tollison
Author of: TO TELL THE TRUTH
Upcoming books: THE BIBLE MURDERS
SARAH'S SECRET
www.fayemtollison.com
www.fmtoll.wordpress.com
www.fayetollison.blogspot.com

elysabeth said...

I hope some folks will stop by and visit you because I think it's important to promote each other. I'm thankful that you were willing to participate in my guest postings this year. See you soon - E :)