Sunday, January 15, 2012

JA Konrath's take on success

I was reading through Kristi Bernard's blog, The Neophyte Writer, (see blog posting from yesterday for direct link to her review), which led me to a posting she did about JA Konrath's posting of $100,000 in 3-weeks, which led me to another posting about that article, which led me to yet another article and finally to JA Konrath's blog. I read his latest posting first and then read his $100,000 posting.

For those of you who think that self-pubbing and overnight success go hand-in-hand, here is JA Konrath's take on his success; this on the heels of showing his $100,000 earnings in a 3-week period.

Remember, he first self-pubbed on Kindle in April of 2009; all of these sales are only on his Kindle published books/stories, not anything else; he also has been working hard for 24 years.

I agree with a lot of what he said about self-oublishing either in print or ebook format not being a get-rich-quick thing or success happens overnight. It does take a lot of hard work and persistence as well as just lucking up on the right combination of everything. According to his blog, he only has 2066 followers, so why is he earning $100,000 in a 3-week period (that is the last week of December and the first two weeks of January)? He is reaching folks he wouldn't have with his traditional publisher and he's continually putting out stories.

That is my objective, to reach folks I normally wouldn't with a traditional publisher, although my state stories really are limited to reaching power because of them being a United States specific topic. My other stories, ebook only I'm publishing everywhere that Amazon (and Barnes & Noble) lets me, worldwide.

I'm thinking "The Tulip Kiss" should do well in Holland due to the fact that my husband's family has roots there and at one time there actually used to be Eldering Tulips. I sent the story to my father-in-law along with "The Proposal" and Finally Home as ebook versions. I'm hoping he will spread the word to other people, especially family in Holland and that I should start seeing sales.

I know this writer will keep plugging away, doing events, publishing new stories as much as possible and hope that my success comes quicker than 24 years. E :)

No comments: