Monday, January 09, 2012

Book Covers

I have a new cover! Psych! - lol. I guess that dates me. Back when I was in high school, we would say "Psych" when we faked out someone. I was really hoping to have a new cover for "Bride-and-Seek" by now to share with you all but I don't. I'm patiently waiting, trying not to push Heather too much since I know I'm not her only client and that she is getting ready to start back to school soon. I have a really clear vision of what I want the cover to look like but whether or not I've conveyed that to Heather is another question. I do know that once she gives me a first cover, if it isn't exactly what I had in mind, she will take my suggestions and go back to the drawing board and rework it until my vision comes to fruition.

Finally Home - mock up full cover first version

Finally Home - full cover final version

Case in point, Finally Home was originally the attic scene with the mirror and Kelly sort of looking to the mirror. I loved the mirror, wasn't too crazy about the attic, sent Heaher some pictures and a bit more description of what I pictured in my mind and she sent me back what is now gracing my book.

"The Proposal" - front cover - only and final version

"The Proposal" actually came to me almost perfect. I don't recall making any changes or asking that something be changed because it was just right for the story. I did have to change one little section in the story to fit the cover but it was a minor change; sometimes that does happen too.

"The Tulip Kiss" - front cover final version

"The Tulip Kiss" is another case in that the first one she sent me I loved everything about it save for the way the wording was getting washed out and the tulip was overpowering color wise. On the fourth attempt, she sent me now what is displayed on all the sites where the ebook is available.

So I have no doubt that when Heather sends me "Bride-and-Seek" it will either be almost perfect (there is always room for some improvement in everything) and what I pictured or it may need tweaking, so as soon as I've got a cover, I can then turn around and share with you all as well as get the story published on Kindle, Nook and Smashwords. Having the "just right cover" for your story is very important. I'm very thankful to have a talented young lady like Heather who is willing to work with me and create some very exquisite and eye-catching covers. Keep up the good work, Heather. See you all in the postings - E :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting post. Thanks for sharing the mock up cover and the final cover for FINALLY HOME.

elysabeth said...

Thanks, Susanne. Heather really does work with her clients until they have just what they want cover wise. I'm working on doing some printed versions of the stories ("The Tulip Kiss", "The Proposal", "Bride-and-Seek" and "Butterfly Halves") to use as either giveaways or for purchase at events, but those will only be available in-person, not for sale online other than as the ebooks.

Heather has high aspirations and I believe she will go far. She is steadily building her portfolio so she will be ready for any position she is offered or desires.

Thanks for stopping by. - E :)