Sunday, July 08, 2007

A semi-rant on rudeness and blogging

Okay - I was in a ranty mood the other day and read a friend's blog that had a kind of ranty thing on it and thought I would post a rant of my own. I never got around to it and the rant kind of passed, but I am posting the stewed down version of my rant.

I like to think of this as just at no one in particular but then at everyone - lol - not directing to anyone in particular. Andy Rooney from 60 Minutes fame comes to mind when I thought about posting this originally.

So here is my rant, sort of - I've bookmarked tons of blogs (mostly writing related or people who write and/or are published). I try to visit blogs at least once a day, sometimes more if time permits and comment on several of them. Common courtesy says if someone visits you and speaks to you or posts a comment on your posting or in response to other commentors, then have the decency to acknowledge your commentors. I don't even care if it is a personal note or if you come to my blog and post an off the wall comment to something on my blog - just show that you are reading the comments and taking some time with your blog (this is your online presence, unless you have a website that is taking up more of your time). And those of you who just post something and never say anything back to your commentors, that is just rude.

Okay - now I'm off the little soapbox, and back to working - I shouldn't let this bother me but it does. If you aren't receiving the comments that's one thing but if you are getting them and reading them and want to keep people coming back to your blog, please post something back in the comment field to show that you are taking some of the advice or comments to heart. -

I hope I haven't been rude to anyone who comments on my blog and have at least let you know I've read your comment or appreciate the advice or something - because rudeness doesn't cut it in my life. My kids were fussed at last Sunday after returning from their trip to Baton Rouge for some rudeness towards some of the older adults who were in attendance, and when I found out, my kids assured me that they were not involved in this situation. They know better because I don't tolerate rudeness from them to me and definitely not to someone in the church, regardless if it is a peer or someone who is there to make sure they are safe and that they stay together (even if that person seems stricter than me) - I'm thankful I have raised them somewhat decently to have respect of all adults around them and to not let their peers dictate how they behave away from home -

Anyway - that is the rant - so it's passed and not anything big - just so you all know - see you all in the postings - E :)

4 comments:

Rain-drop said...

Wow, very interesting post! E, I have a suggestion for you - post more stuff like this! I'm not saying jump on the soapbox, but that I really enjoy posts where I get to hear your opinion. You are an intelligent person, so it is very interesting to hear your thoughts, and you articulate well, so more random thoughtfullness posts like this, I'd love to read 'em. :D

I think you have an excellent point about rudeness. People should be grateful and appreciative, and the way to show this online is to give the person a comment back! Give as you are given. It makes perfect sense and is not asking too much. I totally agree with you.

And good job on the kids, they're so important - we're the next generation, after all. When you guys are all in your coffins, we don't want this generation to be full of rude people who don't have the common sense to be polite. Inter-relations between people are so important, so learning manners is essential, I think, even if it may mean the parent may have to crack down a little bit more than he or she may like. Better than being too soft and getting bratty, irritating kids who are rude to people. :D

LindaBudz said...

Wow, now that I read this, I'm glad I posted comments on your butterfly posts! I was probably dipping into near rudeness there for a while. It can be hard to keep up with all the blogs I like to visit, though!

Cas said...

E, I am quite sure I have fallen into the category of rude. Please accept my sincere apology. I love your comments - they are always so thoughtful and full of insight. Your thoughts are precious to me and I am sorry for being so self absorbed.

Thank you for your honesty. I'm sure your kids are wonderful - they have a great mom.

Janelle Dakota's blog said...

I agree with rain-drop. This was an entertaining blog post to read. It seems Americans are closing in their lives and getting rude. We live separate from extended family - often in different states or countries - and sometimes dont' even know our neighbors. I remember as a child summer days were spent outside. When we were thirsty, we got a drink of water from whatever house we were closest to. Nowadays, friends live across town! Times have changed, but that doesn't mean manners need to be tossed aside. I go out of my way to be polite to bank tellers, cashiers, etc. just because no one else bothers. What a strange world.