Saturday, February 23, 2008

Read a good book lately?

I love going to book festivals. I like volunteering and meeting some great new people. I love seeing expressions on folks' faces when they just buy that great new author's book. Yes, you guessed it. It's book festival time again.

This time of the year, I make the 2 hour trip from my house to Columbia. This is my fourth year as a volunteer with this particular festival. Next year, I hope to be on the other side of the tables, as an author or at least as part of the publisher's exhibitor table, selling all my stories that have come out by this time next year. (Guess I should really get my hiney in gear and write, edit and rewrite and test the stories so I can be on the other side.) If it doesn't work out next February for me to be an author or at least part of the exhibitor's booth for the publisher, then I will volunteer again. I love volunteering because you do meet so many cool people.

So hopefully you all have a good book to curl up with and you have the opportunity to meet authors at different book festivals around the country.

If you happen to be in the Columbia, South Carolina area, stop by the Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center and say hello to me. Or come by and see an author on a panel or shop or look around. Bring the kids because this year they have a kids' arts and crafts table and some children's authors doing some book readings. For more on the schedule, check out http://www.scbookfestival.org/index.php?c=schedule and see if there are any panels or speeches you would like to hear - come and enjoy yourself -

1 comment:

Daisy said...

Thank you for commenting on my blog--great to hear from another local person! We live close by, apparently!

Went ahead and linked you on my blogroll, too, if that's okay. You need to start building that fan-base, girlfriend! Jay Lake's blog gets 1000 hits a day, which just made me so jealous. (I was thrilled when he linked me!) Several writers at the festival talked about the importance of having a blog to advertise their work, and let the readers in on their process.

They start as "fan sites" and sort of turn into family. :)