Saturday, October 01, 2011

Revisions


Today I promised myself I would sit at my desk sans distractions and just revise until the end of the day. I started late - waking up after 11 AM, showering and doing the distraction things first (email, plurk, et cetera) and then started revising. Of my friends who sent comments back on Finally Home only one was a fully commented return but those comments are expansive. The other two were Chapters 1 & 2 and Chapters 1-3, respectively.

It looks like I am going to have to push back my publication date to November, about Thanksgiving time. These revisions should have been done months ago for me to have a publication date this month, but alas, I've been putting it off. The writing is okay but it needs punching up (needs to be stronger in places, more action, development of the characters a bit).

So are the revisions going like I planned? No. I need someone to read through Chapters 4 through 16 to comment and markup the ms so that I can finish the revisions. Anyone out there who would like to read an almost 200 page manuscript and make comments to help me revise? Drop me an email at eeldering at gmail dot com and let me know if you have time to read and make comments (not just things like changing a word or adding or deleting but things like intense comments - needs some action here, needs to be reworded, that type of thing) so that I can finish the revisions. Thanks to all of you out there who read my blog and who are willing to help. - E :)


UPDATE (Sunday, 10/02/2011): I found a copy of a friend's comments (from when I first thought I'd submit the story and get it published with a traditionally publisher) that I'm going to use for my revisions. I feel this will at least get me to the point of almost having a final draft. Lana is pretty right on with her comments - so going to revise some tonight and hopefully will finish this tomorrow between work that is left in my pool tonight and work that comes in tomorrow afternoon. Hoping by end of week to be announcing that Finally Home is revision completed - lol - see you in the postings - E :)

2 comments:

Carol Baldwin said...

Ah, revisions. Such a chore, but so necessary. I hope you find the reader/editor you're looking for. FOlks who can show us what we're missing are invaluable!

elysabeth said...

Thanks, Carol. I found a copy of a friend's comments from eons ago when I first started this story. I'm going to use that one since she is a published author and her comments are pretty right on.

I guess I should post that as an update on this blog posting - lol. I'm going to work a few hours now on revisions and then come back tomorrow after I complete my work (right now only 10 jobs left in my pool) until more work comes in late in the day. I'm ready to move on with the next step of this book and work on getting my other stories e-book published.

Chat with you soon - see you in the postings - E :)