Thursday, April 22, 2010

Earth Day 2010


Today is earth day and according to one site I happened upon today, this is the 40th year we have been celebrating earth day. I think earth day really came to be known as such within the last ten years or so. What all are you doing to save the earth?

While I was out briefly around noon time today, I was thinking of ways I could help save the earth. It's 3/4 of the way through April and in the South, it starts really warming up here, although my hormones are changing (not for the better at this point in my life), just leaving my car parked in an unshaded area for about 15 or 20 minutes I found it rather warm when I got back in. I hadn't been running my car air conditioner (certainly not the one at home since it's still pretty chilly in my downstairs work/sleep area) very much and I had to turn it on for a couple of minutes to cool the car down and I thought - what's a person in the south to do when it's hot and humid and all the pollen is out and making breathing intolerable without air conditioning. I didn't really want to turn it on, but had no choice because if I had opened my windows, I probably would have sneezed all the way home from the grocery store and wouldn't have been able to see too well driving.

So although I only ran the air conditioning a couple of minutes to help quelch the heat in the car, I wasn't doing anything to save the earth. But I'm trying to do better.

Recycle your plastic water bottles and use them every day (they make great trip bottles to pack in a cooler and have water handy in your vehicle for emergencies). Don't send them to the landfills. Turn off lights when not needed. Don't open and close the refrigerator a lot looking for something to eat.

No matter how small you think the deed is, if it helps save the earth, do it. So what are you doing in honor of earth day? Mrs. E :)

No comments: