Monday, April 30, 2007

Got Sleep?

Well, last night I had a sleep study and I didn't sleep much at all. Of course the technician who had wired me up and all couldn't divulge in the specifics of what the test showed, but this is what I told him when he came to get me up at something like 10 'til 6 this morning.

(I should explain I was forced to go "lights out" at by 11:30 p.m. - nowhere near my normal bedtime of 2 a.m. and then was awakened once to adjust some wires (would have probably been the time to put the CPAP on me but they didn't do that last night and then tried to sleep and had my room entered again by one of the other technicians to readjust my nose wire.)

When I was being de-wired, I told the tech, it took me about 2 hours to fall alseep (after being told that for the CPAP to be placed, if in the first 2 hours after lights out you have 80 episodes) and that I probably slept about 3-4 hours total. He proceeded to tell me he couldn't go over the specifics but that I'd have to discuss the findings of the study with the doctor on my followup visit. Of course, getting wired up wasn't fun and the de-wiring was just gross - lumps of conductor glob in my hair and on my face and all - yuck.

After I finally got dressed, called the kids to make sure they were up and then went to help Judy install her new print center (one of those all in one things) and then came home and was going to hop in the shower and take a nap. I had to check my emails and post a few things here before I could do that. Finally, I'm to a point I can stop and take a shower and a nap - only being home an hour - so see ya'll in the postings - E :)

4 comments:

Serena said...

Wow, that sounds like some experience. Why the sleep study? Are you having problems with insomnia?

Rain-drop said...

Why the sleep study, thtat is my question too. I'm so sorry to hear that you are having trouble sleeping, that is terrible. I know a bit how it is, since it usually takes me an hour or so to fall asleep, and not getting enough sleep sucks. You feel drained the whole day if you don't get enough sleep.

It sounds like an uncomfortable experience, overall, especially with the goop in the hair! I hope that when you talk to the other doctor you get the test results and learn something nice about how to get to sleep faster or something. :)

Cidermaker said...

A lot of my patients have sleep problems for various reasons (sometimes guilty conscience LOL). So I teach them basic Sleep Hygiene which most find useful. If you like I can email copies of the hand-outs I use when I get back to work next week.
Incidently Charles Dodgson, (ie Lewis Carroll, the author of "Alice") had chronic insomnia and used to do mathematical puzzles to help get to sleep!

Janelle Dakota's blog said...

Isn't it interesting that most patients who do sleep studies rarely get any sleep? My husband did his sleep study at home. The doctor sent the equipment home with him. I think that worked better than putting him in a strange place.

I do hope you get some help with your sleep problems. Your health will be so much better if you can sleep well!